A General Overview of Oxy Welding Process15 December 2020
One procedure that is pretty common among metal fabrication companies is welding. It is the process wherein two pieces of metal parts are combined through the use of heat and the addition of other metals or gases. As these elements mix up, the metallic structures of the workpieces are subsequently joined and combined as one. To date, there are multiple methods associated with the welding process.
One popular method of welding is the oxy welding process. Also known as gas welding, this welding method heavily relies on the combustion of oxygen and acetylene. Once these elements interact within a hand-held torch or blowpipe, they can produce a hot flame that is directed to the involved metal parts.
Primary Characteristics of Oxy Welding
The oxy welding process possesses certain characteristics that make them distinct from other welding methods. For one, it normally uses dual oxygen and acetylene gases that are stored within steel cylinders. It also uses double line rubber hoses in conducting the gas from the acetylene tanks before sending it to the torch. This process also maximises regulators to effectively control the gas flow and reduce the pressure of oxygen and the mentioned tanks.
Aside from these characteristics, oxy welding is likewise known for its ability to integrate the cutting process just by changing the welding tip into a cutting tip. The high temperature of the gas mixture makes this welding process great for certain applications, especially if the melting of the materials is needed.
Oxy Welding Processes and Elements
The equipment used for the oxy welding process has steel cylinders that can fully store oxygen and acetylene gases. These cylinders are normally integrated with regulators and hoses that lead to the torch or blowpipe. To ensure safety, there are flame traps that are set between the cylinder regulators and the hoses. The purpose of these safety measures is to prevent any frame from reaching the cylinders and causing damages and failures to the equipment. Apart from the safety of the equipment, operators themselves must wear protective clothing and tinted coloured glasses for their own protection.
Oxy welding starts with the mounting of welding tip to the end of the torch handle. The mixture of gas and fuel then passes through the tip to efficiently feed the flame. Welding tips have one hole, while the cutting tips have a hole located on the centre with a few smaller holes around the centrally located hole.
As mentioned, the combination of gases makes it possible to release a flame. This flame is subsequently maximised in melting the metal surfaces of the workpieces that are intended to be joined. As they melt, the workpieces are joined effectively. The addition of filler metal allows the workpieces to avoid oxidation and to ensure that they would truly combine.
Main Benefits of Oxy Welding Process
What is great about oxy welding process is that an operator can easily control the rate of heat input, the temperature of the weld zone, and the reducing potential of the welding atmosphere. Oxy welding process also allows control over the size, shape, and weld puddle viscosity due to the presence of filler metal. Ultimately, this welding process can be utilised in welding thin metal sheets and repair welding.
For more information about this welding process, feel free to contact us at Sharp Welding and Crane Hire.
Optimized by Netwizard SEO
- On-Site Welding by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire: Our Role in Structural Steel Fabrication
- Crawler Cranes: How They Continuously Operate in Extreme Conditions
- Structural Steel Fabrication by Sharp Welding for Successful Construction Projects
- All-Terrain Franna Cranes for Hire: Simplify Complex Lifts
- Structural Steel Fabrication in Construction: Key Elements
- Powerful Equipment at Your Service: Crane Borers for Hire in Melbourne
- Structural Steel Fabrication: Welding Techniques to Ensure Precision and Strength
- Customised Structural Steel Erection Services from Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Professional Structural Steel Fabrication and Erection Services by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Mobile Crane Hire: The Reaching Capacity of a Mobile Crane
- Cranes for Hire: Type of Projects that RequireAll-Terrain Cranes
- Steel Fabrication Services: Performing Guillotining and Metal Forming
- Crane Hire Services: Crane Trucks Explained
- Crane Hire Services: How Crawler Cranes Effectively Addresses Lifting Demands
- Structural Steel Fabricators and Their Role in the Construction Industry
- Industries That Require Steel Fabrication Services
- The Importance Of Riggers And Rigging In Crane Hire Operations
- Crane Operators, Dogmen, and Riggers: Who are They?
- Steel Care: Post-Construction Structural Steel Maintenance Service
- Welding Safety Considerations That Should Regularly Be Checked
- Experts Talk: All About Our Highly-Skilled Boilermakers & Welders
- Welding Fabrication Techniques from Sharp Crane Hire
- All About Mobile Cranes and Fixed Cranes
- How Structural Steels are Fabricated for Construction Projects