Considerations of Critical Importance for Tower Crane Safety During Severe Weather08 September 2022
Tower cranes have been involved in several serious incidents throughout history that were recorded in writing form. Most of these unlucky occurrences tend to occur when the weather conditions are not in their ideal state. This is mostly because tower cranes are supported by a very limited structural mass that is located underneath them, and as a result, they tend to be vulnerable to the effects of the environment. They will swing in any direction when subjected to severe winds, leading to accidents and damage to the surrounding region.
If a tower crane is being utilised or present at your building site, there are a variety of actions and techniques that you can observe and follow to guarantee that your crane survives adverse weather conditions and limit the risk of potential accidents and structural damages. The following are some examples of these:
The Operator Follows The Correct Procedures After Using The Crane
Before they are allowed to leave the equipment, operators of cranes are required to complete several predetermined processes. If they are utilising a luffing jib, the crane should be left with the jib in the parking position with the luff raised. If they were operating a hammerhead or flat top crane at their departure, the hook block needs to be returned to the jib and positioned to offset from the cabin slightly. The operators will be able to guarantee that the hook block will not freely blow around in the wind and cause damage to the cabin, nor will it swing around and endanger anybody below the piece of equipment.
When Heavy Winds Are Forecast, The Crane Should Be Left In Free-Slew
The crane operators are responsible for ensuring that nothing within a 360-degree radius of the machine might come into contact with the jib. Adhering to these safety guidelines allows the slew ring to move effortlessly with the wind rather than struggle against it. If the parking brake is left engaged and the slew ring is parked in a fixed position, there is a significant possibility that the jib may be buffeted by the wind, which will cause the crane to be subjected to loads that it was not designed to support.
No Tools, Bolts, Nuts, Or Debris May Fly Off A Crane In Bad Weather
This requires removing anything that is perched atop the tower crane that has the potential to be blown off and fall to the ground below. If this is not done, there is a possibility that there will be a serious accident or fatality not only for the employees currently on the working site but also for innocent passersby walking by the construction area.
When The Weather Returns To Normal, Inspect The Tower Crane Before Using It Again
This is done to guarantee that everything is operating as it should. To ensure that the crane has not sustained any serious damage due to the storm, the operator should be tasked with conducting a full load test. To ensure that the structural stability of the tower crane has not been compromised as a result of the additional wind loadings placed on both the tower crane and the building, you should have the site structural engineer inspect the tie-in points between the tower crane and the building.
At Sharp Welding and Crane Hire, we prioritise the health and safety of every one of our employees and customers. Please make sure you look into the services that we have to offer!
Optimized by Netwizard SEO
- On-Site Welding by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire: Our Role in Structural Steel Fabrication
- Crawler Cranes: How They Continuously Operate in Extreme Conditions
- Structural Steel Fabrication by Sharp Welding for Successful Construction Projects
- All-Terrain Franna Cranes for Hire: Simplify Complex Lifts
- Structural Steel Fabrication in Construction: Key Elements
- Powerful Equipment at Your Service: Crane Borers for Hire in Melbourne
- Structural Steel Fabrication: Welding Techniques to Ensure Precision and Strength
- Customised Structural Steel Erection Services from Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Professional Structural Steel Fabrication and Erection Services by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Mobile Crane Hire: The Reaching Capacity of a Mobile Crane
- Cranes for Hire: Type of Projects that RequireAll-Terrain Cranes
- Steel Fabrication Services: Performing Guillotining and Metal Forming
- Crane Hire Services: Crane Trucks Explained
- Crane Hire Services: How Crawler Cranes Effectively Addresses Lifting Demands
- Structural Steel Fabricators and Their Role in the Construction Industry
- Industries That Require Steel Fabrication Services
- The Importance Of Riggers And Rigging In Crane Hire Operations
- Crane Operators, Dogmen, and Riggers: Who are They?
- Steel Care: Post-Construction Structural Steel Maintenance Service
- Welding Safety Considerations That Should Regularly Be Checked
- Experts Talk: All About Our Highly-Skilled Boilermakers & Welders
- Welding Fabrication Techniques from Sharp Crane Hire
- All About Mobile Cranes and Fixed Cranes
- How Structural Steels are Fabricated for Construction Projects