Lifting Equipment and Material Handling: The Importance of Crane Capacity and Accuracy22 August 2016
It would make work much easier for a crane operator if its handling characteristics remained consistent, no matter the load or the span of the lift. Unfortunately, the laws of physics don’t see things that way. Capacity ratings change. They rise and fall in proportion to the span of the lift. Accuracy considerations also vary as the lifting equipment alters its configuration, which represents something of a conundrum when consistency is the order of the day, every day.
The Dangers of Capacity Misinterpretation
If a diligent operator knows the lifting capacity of his crane, then potentially catastrophic overloads are avoidable. Fortunately, lifting capacity is covered exhaustively when the vehicle is hired or purchased, so overloads are rare. Hypothetically, such an incident can topple the crane and cause loss of life as well as great damage to the local area. At the very least, the equipment could be permanently damaged, in which case the rigging is now unreliable and there’s a real risk of material slippage.
Dynamic Loading Specifications
As mentioned up top, the loading aptitude of one of these heavy lifters isn’t fixed. It changes as the boom extends and its angular span alters. Counterweights are used to offset reduced lifting capacity, but this asset won’t help when a particular angle and boom distance is assumed and a heavy weight is being queried as a safety risk. Consult the load chart for that particular model to see how much weight it can shift. The chart supplies a maximum lift capacity that matches the different angles and lengths assumed by the boom.
High-end mobile cranes defeat manipulation errors by incorporating an additional control cabin into the mix. Even the single cabin variant is performance-assured when an assistant handler works in tandem with the operator to help the load make it to an elevated floor or a partially constructed platform. Electronic aids are also part of this scenario, with limit switches, proximity alarms, level indicators, and boom angle meters aiding in the accurate placement of even the most unwieldy cargo.
When operators work from a mindset that aligns with the importance of crane capacity and accuracy, they have a grasp of the most important elements of this craft. Safety comes first, always, followed by a guardianship ethic that protects the vehicle and all nearby construction areas. The training of the driver is a primary asset here, but so is the condition of the crane, its inbuilt lift capacity, and knowledge of the proposed load.
Optimized by Netwizard SEO
- On-Site Welding by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire: Our Role in Structural Steel Fabrication
- Crawler Cranes: How They Continuously Operate in Extreme Conditions
- Structural Steel Fabrication by Sharp Welding for Successful Construction Projects
- All-Terrain Franna Cranes for Hire: Simplify Complex Lifts
- Structural Steel Fabrication in Construction: Key Elements
- Powerful Equipment at Your Service: Crane Borers for Hire in Melbourne
- Structural Steel Fabrication: Welding Techniques to Ensure Precision and Strength
- Customised Structural Steel Erection Services from Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Professional Structural Steel Fabrication and Erection Services by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Mobile Crane Hire: The Reaching Capacity of a Mobile Crane
- Cranes for Hire: Type of Projects that RequireAll-Terrain Cranes
- Steel Fabrication Services: Performing Guillotining and Metal Forming
- Crane Hire Services: Crane Trucks Explained
- Crane Hire Services: How Crawler Cranes Effectively Addresses Lifting Demands
- Structural Steel Fabricators and Their Role in the Construction Industry
- Industries That Require Steel Fabrication Services
- The Importance Of Riggers And Rigging In Crane Hire Operations
- Crane Operators, Dogmen, and Riggers: Who are They?
- Steel Care: Post-Construction Structural Steel Maintenance Service
- Welding Safety Considerations That Should Regularly Be Checked
- Experts Talk: All About Our Highly-Skilled Boilermakers & Welders
- Welding Fabrication Techniques from Sharp Crane Hire
- All About Mobile Cranes and Fixed Cranes
- How Structural Steels are Fabricated for Construction Projects