Metal Fabrication and Structural Steel Fabrication: Is There a Difference?16 November 2017
There are several very real differences between metal fabrication and structural steel fabrication services. Client’s need to know those differences if they’re to select the right service for a looming project. The scale of the work illustrates the first major craft dissimilarity. Imagine the latter discipline using sophisticated tools to process complex metal parts. Structural steelwork operates on a larger scale, a larger-than-life scale that involves incredibly heavy loads.
Cracking the Metal Fabrication Question
Simply put, we’re describing a process that transforms raw metal into a series of tool-worked metal components. Iron handrails fall under this category, as do the architectural accents that decorate modern buildings. However, none of these constructs, as dimensionally accurate as they undoubtedly are, can be classed as a structural steel product. After all, the welded and cut metal segments are robust, plus they’re probably weatherproof, but they’re not designed to support structural loads.
Assessing Structural Loading Issues
This is a large-scale industrial and commercial sector, one that uses massive beams and dense sheets to construct weighty frameworks. Bridges and tunnels are core members of this structural construction group. Furthermore, those steel parts are loaded with special material characteristics. The goal is to treat the steel alloy so that it’s rigid, even when those mammoth structural loads apply their full weight. Welded and otherwise fastened into complex frames, the structure safely contains its own weight and any other loads, including those imposed by people, traffic, and heavy winds.
Structural Steel VS. Metal Fabrication
Catering for regular alloy manipulation, the work entails the processing of softer metals. Bronze and copper are included in this category. Mild steels and variously graded irons are also processed here. They’re bent, imbued with special finishes, before being cut and drilled. Geometrically complex or plain in shape, the end product will function just as the client specified. Structural steel fabrication has a second master. Gravity decides the material. Gravity and project density guide the material selection process. Large-cross sectional area beams, made from mild or carbon-reinforced steels, then ensure structural stability, no matter how tall the finished building becomes.
Just about every property of a metal fabrication project enjoys some leeway, so different metals can be selected. Only harder alloys satisfy the structural steel fabrication mandate. They’re built on a far larger scale to support multiple floors or tall steel shed frames. Additionally, much of that structural work is carried out on-site, with the partially finished components assembling up high, which is why crane services partner so naturally with steel fabrication operations.
Optimized by Netwizard SEO
- On-Site Welding by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire: Our Role in Structural Steel Fabrication
- Crawler Cranes: How They Continuously Operate in Extreme Conditions
- Structural Steel Fabrication by Sharp Welding for Successful Construction Projects
- All-Terrain Franna Cranes for Hire: Simplify Complex Lifts
- Structural Steel Fabrication in Construction: Key Elements
- Powerful Equipment at Your Service: Crane Borers for Hire in Melbourne
- Structural Steel Fabrication: Welding Techniques to Ensure Precision and Strength
- Customised Structural Steel Erection Services from Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Professional Structural Steel Fabrication and Erection Services by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Mobile Crane Hire: The Reaching Capacity of a Mobile Crane
- Cranes for Hire: Type of Projects that RequireAll-Terrain Cranes
- Steel Fabrication Services: Performing Guillotining and Metal Forming
- Crane Hire Services: Crane Trucks Explained
- Crane Hire Services: How Crawler Cranes Effectively Addresses Lifting Demands
- Structural Steel Fabricators and Their Role in the Construction Industry
- Industries That Require Steel Fabrication Services
- The Importance Of Riggers And Rigging In Crane Hire Operations
- Crane Operators, Dogmen, and Riggers: Who are They?
- Steel Care: Post-Construction Structural Steel Maintenance Service
- Welding Safety Considerations That Should Regularly Be Checked
- Experts Talk: All About Our Highly-Skilled Boilermakers & Welders
- Welding Fabrication Techniques from Sharp Crane Hire
- All About Mobile Cranes and Fixed Cranes
- How Structural Steels are Fabricated for Construction Projects