Signs of a Bad Welding Job: The Importance of Choosing the Right Welding Professionals02 July 2019
Facts are absolutes. There’s no room for shades of grey when talking about facts. Here’s one such self-evident truth: work on structural steel projects can be undermined by a bad weld. No ifs-and-buts about it, every frame joint must be performed flawlessly. That dictum can be applied to some degree or another on just about any welding job. For structural steel, though, it’s an absolutely vital rule.
Substandard Welds Compromise Construction Projects
If the welder is a hobbyist or a craftsperson who creates welded works of art, they can play fast and loose with the rules. That’s not an option that can be entertained when structural steel elements are being welded. For one thing, the scale is different. Unlike a garage-based hobbyist, the beams and sheet metal sections that have been machined to suit this work are large and heavy. Cranes lift and manipulate them into place, then a welder finishes anchoring the parts in place. Secondly, because of their size and mass, gravity weighs heavily here, and the weather billowing around a structure just worsens matters. Strong winds, seismic events, rust and chemical attacks, there’s no limit to the number of challenges.
Identifying Signs of Bad Welds
What’s the biggest take away from the last passage of text? Clearly, welding professionals need to do their job or get out of the way so that another certified pro can take over. Assuming a welding inspector has done his rounds, what kind of problems has he found? Well, a skinny weld line isn’t going to support a load-bearing structure. Porosity problems are listed, too. Cracks and fusion discontinuities are spotted on another weld. If the building frame gets hit by a heavy wind, those cracks will propagate. The weld could even be discoloured, with signs of oxidization covering several centimetres of the joint. Worse still, some of the weld is missing or it’s not penetrating to the root of the joint, probably because the welder didn’t use enough filler rod.
In pressure vessels, weld professionals create deep-rooted seams that are designed to contain high-pressure fluid loads. A bad weld here could end up causing a nasty leak, and, worst-case scenario, that leak could combust. On a structural steel project, it’s much the same situation. Without the right welding professional, someone who can stick weld or operate a TIG or MIG rig, load-bearing elements could fail. Frankly speaking, weld inspectors provide a structural performance safety net, but that doesn’t mean a poor welder should be allowed to keep right on working. Short and to the point, accredited welding professionals are favoured by weld inspectors and structure designers alike.
Optimized by Netwizard SEO
- On-Site Welding by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire: Our Role in Structural Steel Fabrication
- Crawler Cranes: How They Continuously Operate in Extreme Conditions
- Structural Steel Fabrication by Sharp Welding for Successful Construction Projects
- All-Terrain Franna Cranes for Hire: Simplify Complex Lifts
- Structural Steel Fabrication in Construction: Key Elements
- Powerful Equipment at Your Service: Crane Borers for Hire in Melbourne
- Structural Steel Fabrication: Welding Techniques to Ensure Precision and Strength
- Customised Structural Steel Erection Services from Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Professional Structural Steel Fabrication and Erection Services by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Mobile Crane Hire: The Reaching Capacity of a Mobile Crane
- Cranes for Hire: Type of Projects that RequireAll-Terrain Cranes
- Steel Fabrication Services: Performing Guillotining and Metal Forming
- Crane Hire Services: Crane Trucks Explained
- Crane Hire Services: How Crawler Cranes Effectively Addresses Lifting Demands
- Structural Steel Fabricators and Their Role in the Construction Industry
- Industries That Require Steel Fabrication Services
- The Importance Of Riggers And Rigging In Crane Hire Operations
- Crane Operators, Dogmen, and Riggers: Who are They?
- Steel Care: Post-Construction Structural Steel Maintenance Service
- Welding Safety Considerations That Should Regularly Be Checked
- Experts Talk: All About Our Highly-Skilled Boilermakers & Welders
- Welding Fabrication Techniques from Sharp Crane Hire
- All About Mobile Cranes and Fixed Cranes
- How Structural Steels are Fabricated for Construction Projects