What are Crawler Cranes?30 January 2019
Crawler cranes move on a cleverly designed undercarriage. Like an armoured tank, they roll along on a twin set of high-traction tracks. The two continuous treads, one on either side of a mobile crane, feature rubberized grips and/or armoured plates. They make it possible for heavy, sometimes unbalanced loads, to cross all kinds of rough terrain. Then, when the heavy equipment stops, it instantly becomes stable and ready to work.
Packed With Mobility Benefits
On viewing a crawler crane in motion, it’s just gotten underway. It’s crossing a rough area of a construction site while a similarly equipped counterpart falls behind. Of benefit, the crawler operator didn’t need to pack the rigging away, nor did he need to fold away a four-pack of stability-improving outriggers. Because of the wide-area crawler tracks on its undercarriage, the vehicle is staying stable, even when it’s in motion. In fact, and this happens only when approved by a governing site authority, sometimes a crawler-equipped crane can move across open ground while carrying a heavy load. Stable by design, crawler cranes make short work of the toughest, most chassis destabilizing lifting operations. Their twin tracks simply ground the vehicle and keep everything safely balanced.
Crawler Cranes Scale the Heights
Imagine a track-equipped crane that can lift 100 ton loads. It angles its boom and cab on a rotating bed turntable. Meanwhile, the tracks lock in place and keep the vehicle frame steady. A Terex HC 100 operates in this manner, with its twin crawler shoes delivering alloy strengthened stability. Alternatively, the scale can jump higher. A Manitowoc 21000, for example, can shift loads that top out at close to 1000 tons. That’s heavy lifting. It does so by using a uniquely equipped set of crawlers. Instead of a pair of tracks, the Manitowoc employs 4 different double-width crawler shoes, which can find purchase under any conditions, except those that are overly uneven. Of course, these two examples mark two ends of a wide spectrum. Typically, a two crawler shoe configuration gets the job done right every time.
Happily, perhaps while safely sitting perched on a scaffolding tower, our observer has come to a conclusion. Crawler cranes are composites, in that they embrace a best of both worlds approach to mobile lifting. As stable as any fixed hoist, they’re incredibly steady. But, when push comes to shove, mobile crawler cranes can make their way across rough ground, even while carrying a load. Best of all, there’s no lengthy packing and unpacking, rigging and unrigging to be done. Once the tracks, chassis and boom get moving, they do so without much prep work at all.
Optimized by Netwizard SEO
- On-Site Welding by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire: Our Role in Structural Steel Fabrication
- Crawler Cranes: How They Continuously Operate in Extreme Conditions
- Structural Steel Fabrication by Sharp Welding for Successful Construction Projects
- All-Terrain Franna Cranes for Hire: Simplify Complex Lifts
- Structural Steel Fabrication in Construction: Key Elements
- Powerful Equipment at Your Service: Crane Borers for Hire in Melbourne
- Structural Steel Fabrication: Welding Techniques to Ensure Precision and Strength
- Customised Structural Steel Erection Services from Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Professional Structural Steel Fabrication and Erection Services by Sharp Welding and Crane Hire
- Mobile Crane Hire: The Reaching Capacity of a Mobile Crane
- Cranes for Hire: Type of Projects that RequireAll-Terrain Cranes
- Steel Fabrication Services: Performing Guillotining and Metal Forming
- Crane Hire Services: Crane Trucks Explained
- Crane Hire Services: How Crawler Cranes Effectively Addresses Lifting Demands
- Structural Steel Fabricators and Their Role in the Construction Industry
- Industries That Require Steel Fabrication Services
- The Importance Of Riggers And Rigging In Crane Hire Operations
- Crane Operators, Dogmen, and Riggers: Who are They?
- Steel Care: Post-Construction Structural Steel Maintenance Service
- Welding Safety Considerations That Should Regularly Be Checked
- Experts Talk: All About Our Highly-Skilled Boilermakers & Welders
- Welding Fabrication Techniques from Sharp Crane Hire
- All About Mobile Cranes and Fixed Cranes
- How Structural Steels are Fabricated for Construction Projects